Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Skyping and Tweeting

Do you remember the idea of Pen Pals?  When I was in school we would have pen pals, students in other cities or countries.  We would write back and forth for a while and get to know eachother.  Somehow, it never really worked.  Now it does and it is called social networking.   Communicating with family, friends, colleagues, or any other VIP has never been easier thanks to the internet and web 2.0 technology.  Everyone knows about My Space and Facebook, but there are other sites that offer unique services for communication too. 

The first is Skype, an internet phone service that allows you to place free phone over the internet to other users currently on-line.  There is no cost, it is free and works with your ISP.  You can make regular calls and video calls.  This is a great way to keep in touch with family and friends that live out of town.  Did I mention it is FREE?  Once you download it you can begin connecting with others.  That is where I am at - trying to create my network via my address book.  So, my user profile is "JillandJeremy"  give me a test call once you are online!

Second is Twitter.  When you use this site you are "tweeting."  Basically, this site is an instant/text message service.  You can text message now on your PC or Mac.  You again create a user profile, then start finding and connecting with friends.  You may experience capacity issues because so many users are utilizing this service.  Don't hesitate, check into this and look me up "jnielsen."  

Happy skyping and tweeting. 

1 comment:

Sucker Free said...

Greeeaaaaaattt Poossst Mr,. Nielsen